A city of culture, discovery and a fair few pints of Guiness is Dublin, but if you’re planning on a visit to the emerald isle don’t just go where the review sites tell you to go, go where the locals go. Do as the locals do, drink what they drink and sing what they sing, do that and you’ll enjoy the most traditional and romantic of Irish experiences – that’s what makes the perfect date in Dublin. So where oh where should you go?
1. Howth – How do you say that? Just a twenty minute train ride from Dublin City Centre Howth is your classic sleepy little fishing village with mass appeal to couples of all ages. What really sets it apart however is the walk up Howth Hill where you can view a stunning panoramic view of Dublin City. Howth has been the setting for many a proposal and in recent years local residents have included everyone from U2 drummer Larry Mullen and recent Oscar nominee Saoirse Ronan.
2. The Shrine of St.Valentine – Yes, did you know the remains of St.Valentine were moved from Rome to Dublin in 1835 in what the Pope called “a gift to the Irish people.”What could be more romantic than paying homage to the very person who started it all off?
3. Vintage Cocktail Club – okay even the most untravelled of us have heard of Temple Bar, but are you familiar with its very secretive Vintage Cocktail Club? Hint: look for the black door.
4. Hughes Pub – Easily found on Chancery Street, Hughes Pub is the number one location to both enjoy and sing along to, traditional Irish music. Be warned the snugness of this charming little pub ensures just about everyone is encouraged to have a song so make sure those vocal chords are warmed up nicely with a pint of you know what!
5. Secret Food Tours – For all the foodies out there Dublin hosts some truly mouth-watering food tours. Prepare to enjoy some of the finest foods, eateries and market places that Dublin has to offer as your very knowledgable guide takes you to a number of locations loved by the locals. Meet up at the famous Trinity college and get ready for an experience to remember.