Great Myths About Men Explained

Being a guy, who knows guys, I unfortunately am all too familiar with some of man’s great failings when it comes to women. I could never claim to have been a perfect boyfriend, but every now and again friends, colleagues and often complete strangers will share their stories with me, and as much as I am happy to listen occasionally my head falls into my hands with unfortunateΒ ease. I could never judge anyone, way too many mistakes made on my part to do that, but are all the negative myths about men actually true? Or are they just that – myths.

bedroom-black-and-white-couple-cute-love-Favim.com-2807121. We’re only after one thing. I get asked this question constantly and the truth is, a bit of both. I know someone who uses online dating and when asked what he’s looking for he is always completely truthful, “a bit of fun.” Hardly the romance girls are after but so long as it’s done respectfully is there really anything wrong with such honesty? This person’s explanation is “I travel a lot for work so it wouldn’t be fair for me to get seriously involved with someone”. So yes sometimes guys are after only one thing but believe it or not we also like a bit of romance, courtship and dare I say it – butterflies. Guys do think about sex constantly, it’s in our DNA after all, but that doesn’t mean we’re all predators. Girls if you’re concerned look out for the early warning signs, some are more obvious than others – requests for dirty photos, innuendos, and the classic “I’m in bed, wish you were here” – we try and pass it off as ‘banter’ but that would be a lie (guys you know exactly what I’m talking about). If you’re stillΒ worried sometimes the best thing you can do is actually the simplest, just ask.

2. We constantly lie. This isn’t true of all men of course but yes you’d be surprised at just how barnes_liarmuch men tell porkies. Guys are too often guilty of saying what we think women want to hear rather than what’s actually going on in our heads. The peculiar thing is that guys are often berated for lying, sure it’s not ok but you’d be surprised how often guys lie simply to protect your feelings – we’re actually big softies deep down we worry about you! It’s a part of our often backwards mentality but not necessarily acceptable and frankly it probablyΒ should worry you. If a guy thinks he can get away with lying then he’ll probably continue to do it, not necessarily for his own gain but because it very quickly just becomes a bad habit. Learn to know when you’re guy is lying and nip it in the bud before it escalates. Don’t be a bunny boiler about it though, we aren’t always lying – believe it or not.

Subscribers-of-the-Ladies-Who-Love-the-Lord-Facebook-fan-page-were-asked-to-discuss-whether-or-not-an-open-relationship-is-still-revered-as-adultery-before-the-eyes-of-God3. “Once a cheater always a cheater”This one drives me crazy, I cannot stress enough how much I disagree with this. Obviously I don’t condone cheating but people do learn from their mistakes. I’ve known guys who’ve cheated and continue to cheat with numerous different women, it’s a sad fact of life, but I also know guys who were so wracked with guilt from cheating that they couldn’t eat or sleep for days and wouldn’t dare go near another woman ever again. It’s down to personal choice whether you forgive a cheater or not but when making that decision don’t assume that he will always cheat, just keep a casual eye on him – time will soon tell if you’ve made the right decision.

4. Our feelings don’t get hurt. Definitely not true. Even the biggest, buffest guy in the gym cantumblr_m8ej1rWkaz1rx9nz2o1_500 be a delicate little flower inside. Guys don’t express feelings very well but don’t mistake this for being made of stone. Sometimes we’re just as insecure as women. I’ve written in detail about this before but more recently I did a small photoshoot for a friend and you’d be surprised at just how much a good quality camera can reveal your every flaw. I cried myself to sleep that night – ok not quite but you get the picture.

5. We hate all of your friends. Not true at all we just hate when you’re in a group! I had an ex-girlfriend and individually I loved every one of her friends but as a group? Don’t get me started! There are few words to explain the frustration of a man having to spend an evening with a group of hyperactive, ranting women. Yes we’ll be gents, keep quiet and politely listen to every one of your meaningless conversations about “that bitch from work” but sorry girls we don’t want to be there, please don’t make us be.

tumblr_static_tumblr_mcq51kmosc1rrmua6o1_500So girls we’re far from perfect but don’t always believe what you read and be wary of the words of a woman scorned. People can only speak of their own experiences but not everyone is the same, try your best to be a good judge of character and never be afraid to ask questions. Failing that just come and ask me – I promise I don’t just want sex!

1. August 10, 2014 / 1:03 am

Informative and comedic, as always. Guess the golden rule is to just treat people like you want to be treated right? Don’t make blanket statements and give people fair chances. There is no perfect answer for any question about the opposite sex.

• August 10, 2014 / 1:05 am

Absolutely, I hate assumptions, everyone is different. Thanks for reading, appreciated as always πŸ™‚ paul

2. August 10, 2014 / 1:14 am

Funny to have read this, after I had just posted “Time Lost”. Witty and direct, I like your style.

3. August 10, 2014 / 1:23 am

Such honesty…and from a man too.. Just kidding. Fun read… enjoyed it.

4. August 10, 2014 / 3:42 am

I loved that, well done!

Often men are surprisingly misunderstood by women, at least that’s the impression I get from women I talk to. Sometimes we tend to think men are emotionally strong, hardly have feelings at all, and forget how easy it is to wound them. Many women aren’t aware of how protective men can be towards our feelings and men do have a tendency to tell us what we want to hear. Women however, rarely return the favor. We think you’re tougher than you are, so sometimes we can be quite brutal.

• August 10, 2014 / 9:13 am

Really glad you like it. I don’t blame women for not understanding men we can be pretty difficult at the best of times but yes there is a bit more mystery to men than most people really is. Really appreciate your comments thanks again. Paul

5. August 10, 2014 / 5:34 am

Iv learned something new

6. August 10, 2014 / 12:56 pm

Ha! Thanks for the laughs and the info… it seems to me that we would all be far better off if we were honest with each other from the start but with the nerves of the first encounters this seems to be difficult. I’m still not completely convinced about #3 but I do get your point.

7. August 10, 2014 / 2:31 pm

I think “Don Draper” is a great example in Mad Men. In some ways…. Imperfect, and trying to fly straight only to crash and burn even worse. I made some course corrections in my marriage recently. And I just realized how much less (if at all anymore) I daydream of my “Plan B” women.

• August 10, 2014 / 2:48 pm

That’s so interesting thank you for your thoughts appreciate it

8. August 10, 2014 / 6:51 pm

This is so perfect! The more you know right?

• August 10, 2014 / 6:59 pm

I meant as in us knowing more about men and this was really great!

• August 10, 2014 / 7:05 pm

ah right haha yes. Thanks again I’m really glad you liked it. Women seem to love these things but I think men are going to start hating me, too honest and giving too much away haha.

• August 10, 2014 / 7:06 pm

A little bit like insider trading, well I think we women appreciate it πŸ™‚

• August 10, 2014 / 7:09 pm

I suppose it is actually, I’m a traitor of men :p

9. August 11, 2014 / 1:37 pm

Insightful and entertaining, great post.

I think some of the same myths are definitely applicable to women as well. There are some ladies out there that are all about keeping things light and free (ie, hooking up).

And anytime you group up a large selection of the opposite sex it lessens the enjoyment level of your partner. I’ve always enjoyed friends of my boyfriends, but hearing how hot the girl they hooked up with from the previous night is or how hard level 5 was in Halo? Nope.

Granted, there’s always exceptions to the rules and that’s what makes life and dating so much fun/frustrating. None of us think or act the same so the end results of our actions and adventures is most of the time unpredictable by nature. Don’t you just love that?

Again, great post!!

10. August 11, 2014 / 7:59 pm

Reblogged this on bridgetmoans diary and commented:
    Ladies…this might restore a little bit of faith. This is helping with my positive attitude I’m trying to have. Now…where do we find these guys??

• August 12, 2014 / 6:21 am

Thank you so much I really appreciate it, looking forward to reading your blog. Keep in touch πŸ™‚ Paul

11. August 12, 2014 / 10:32 am

I laughed so much through this, you genius! Very good explanations, never really thought about it in that perspective! Amazing, again! πŸ™‚

• August 12, 2014 / 5:01 pm

You’ve completely made my day thank you so much really glad you liked it! Keep in touch πŸ™‚ Paul

• August 12, 2014 / 5:28 pm

You deserve these comments! Your posts never fail to get me thinking and laughing πŸ™‚ Michelle.

12. August 14, 2014 / 4:52 pm

Great post as always. I think the bigger problem here is just throwing all guys together under one warm blanket statement. Same goes for a lot of the misconceptions of girls. Desperately stereotypical, but I really think honesty and communication are the key to gender relationships.

13. August 15, 2014 / 8:06 am

women are just unpredictable creatures that are very difficult to understand. i learned it the hard way.

14. August 17, 2014 / 6:54 pm

Hehehe so awesome to know that someone else out there knows what it means to be a “bunny boiler” πŸ™‚

15. August 18, 2014 / 2:37 pm

The honesty in this is just awesome πŸ™‚

• August 18, 2014 / 5:52 pm

Thank you so much πŸ™‚ really appreciate that. Paul

16. August 19, 2014 / 9:41 am

The older I get, the less I get men, that’s a fact πŸ˜€ But honesty really is the key, even if it doesn’t help at times. I’m seeing this guy, met him on tinder (yesyes, I know) in may, turns out he’s really nice and his game between the sheets is awesome. He’s constantly implying he wants more, sending mixed signals like being upset if we can’t meet, being upset that I don’t invite him over to my place etc, yet if I open up and ask if he wants more, he backs off saying it’s great the way it is and that he can separate sex from love. Which is fine with me, nevertheless not getting why he gets upset.
    Summing up, really looking forward to read more from you, it’s nice to get an insight to the other side πŸ˜‰

• August 19, 2014 / 11:03 pm

Thank you so much really appreciate your comments. Can’t deny it men are an enigma hopefully I’ll be able to answer a few questions for you πŸ™‚

17. August 21, 2014 / 9:39 am

Reblogged this on Tales of A Real Tinderella and commented:
    I really liked this article by Paul Thomas Bell. He’s not only a polished writer, but incredibly articulate thoughts on paper, and very concise in the way he delivers his message, so I like it.

I also liked his franc honesty, especially when he talks about the porkie pies men tend to tell to avoid hurting our feelings, or when they say what they think we want to hear… frustrating but truthful.

So thanks Paul, it’s a pleasurable read, that’s quick too: and who knows, it might even debunk some of those myths about men for some of us πŸ™‚

Happy Reading

Yours truly

A.R.T

• September 1, 2014 / 10:14 pm

Hi A.R.T,

Just back from holiday and read your comment, rea;;y appreciate your thoughts I always try and be as honest a spossible even if it puts me or men in general in a bad light so thank you for noticing. Looking forward to reading more of your blog and hope you continue to enjoy mine.

Thanks Again πŸ™‚

• September 1, 2014 / 10:20 pm

You are welcome and yes I love the way you write, so I will indeed keep reading your blog.
        Your Truly.
        ART

18. August 21, 2014 / 5:20 pm

Hey, I nominated you the Beautiful Blogger’s Award. Obviously, don’t feel pressured to accept! If you are interested just check out my newest blog post for the info!

• August 21, 2014 / 9:19 pm

As one of my favourite followers thank you so much I’m privileged πŸ™‚

• August 21, 2014 / 9:28 pm

If you want to answer the questions feel free, if not, no worries. I wrote a couple sentences about your blog and maybe got you a couple more followers hopefully!

19. August 22, 2014 / 11:44 pm

I love an honest person. A rare trait these days! Enjoyed reading your writing and having a giggle or two!

20. August 28, 2014 / 11:58 pm

I’ve nominated you for the Liebster award because your blog is awesome! For more info check out my blog πŸ™‚

21. October 8, 2014 / 1:33 am

So funny and insightful! You’re definitely spilling truth tea my friend πŸ™‚

22. June 4, 2015 / 4:54 am

“Even the biggest, buffest guy in the gym cantumblr_m8ej1rWkaz1rx9nz2o1_500 be a delicate little flower inside.” So true…

23. June 4, 2015 / 4:57 am

“Even the biggest, buffest guy in the gym can be a delicate little flower inside.” So true…

24. June 30, 2015 / 9:43 pm

I love your candor and sense of humor. Being an older woman I never believed all those myths either but it was good to read your take on them. Thanks!!

• June 30, 2015 / 10:29 pm

Hey thank you I really appreciate that πŸ™‚ keep in touch. PTB