No One Deserves To Be Raped – For The Women of Brazil

I’d like to take a quick moment to lend my voice to a moving campaign currently making waves in Brazil. Spearheaded by journalist Nana Quieroz, women are protesting the notion that they are ‘asking’ to be raped by wearing provocative clothing.

In Brazil a woman is raped every 12 seconds, reports Bella Naija. A truly shocking statistic, why is this allowed to happen? Rape is unacceptable in any circumstance, to suggest someone deserves such treatment because of their clothing is both naive and shameful. Does wearing provocative clothing make someone a bad person? Perhaps these people wear woolly jumpers on the beach? A country ridden with poverty and gang violence and people want to target innocent women? Senseless.

Women should not be punished for confidence.

1. July 11, 2014 / 1:12 pm

Well said. Many thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciate it.

• July 11, 2014 / 1:21 pm

Thank you 🙂 and no problem at a all, my pleasure.

2. July 11, 2014 / 1:15 pm

Yes, very true! I am from India and it is the same situation there. Pointing a finger at the victim! It is atrocious to make such comments when even women wearing burqas have suffered this tragic fate as well!

• July 11, 2014 / 1:23 pm

I’ve read about the situation in India, when we see these things on the news we are quite literally gobsmacked so the women in India certainly have our sympathy. I find it heartening to see people protesting such events in their droves. Thanks for your comments, keep in touch.

• July 11, 2014 / 1:59 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Paul.
        What’s even more disheartening is that the developing counties get a bad rep. An American friend of mine said she was scared to visit India. I feel that one needs to be sensible, especially as a tourist in a foreign land and follow some basic safety guidelines.
        No one wants to talk about the stuff that happens in the so called greater nations! The documentary “the invisible war” is a great watch.
        This is a topic where we can debate at length. Won’t flood ur post with too many comments now.. 🙂
        Have a nice weekend! Cheers!

• August 4, 2014 / 4:53 pm

Been researching the tragic situation in India as wanted to write a short story around it. Read a disturbing Guardian short book on situation “India Dishonoured” by Sunny Hundal. Having been to India twice and seen all the wonderful positives it saddened me that women could be so badly treated when they were the victims. And as you rightly say, the West hides their own problem over rape.

3. July 11, 2014 / 2:05 pm

Very disgusting that anyone would try to justify rape for ANY REASON!! Women do not ever “ask for” or “deserve” to be raped!

4. July 11, 2014 / 3:36 pm

That last line is perfection.

It’s a shame that people actually believe it is up to women to dress or act a certain way in order to avoid things like rape and harassment. We should not be responsible for what anyone else chooses to do; instead of telling women not to dress “provocatively” or “sexy” how about we start telling people to not rape women?

• July 11, 2014 / 4:44 pm

Glad you liked it, really appreciate your thoughts. I still can’t quite get my head around the whole thing, over 60% of brazilians asked (men and woman) said they deserved it. I don’t know if they are just picking on certain women to take the focus off the major issues the country has with murder and gang related crime, who knows. Thanks for reading 🙂

5. July 11, 2014 / 11:54 pm

This is a great post. Thanks for being a true feminist, humanist. Not only are people who say that women are “asking” to be raped placing the blame on the victim, they are also portraying all men as uncontrollable monsters. It’s damaging to both men and women.

• July 11, 2014 / 11:56 pm

Completely agree, an excellent point about men you make. Thanks very much for your interest in my blog, greatly appreciated!

6. July 12, 2014 / 12:13 am

Thank you for speaking out 🙂 victim-blaming makes an already traumatic experience even worse. Not to mention women get attacked regardless of what they’re wearing, and kids get attacked who obviously don’t dress ‘provocatively’. Here’s hoping the campaign will help to shift these attitudes! 🙂

• July 12, 2014 / 12:18 am

Definitely, you’re absolutely right. These people should be trying to prevent such things happening or focusing on victim support not giving rapists an excuse to carry on.

7. July 12, 2014 / 11:44 pm

At the risk of making light of something that has touched my life and the life of every woman I know – I’m really only compelled to comment because of your amazing beard. Reverse objectification is okay isn’t it? And can I please have a hard copy? With my name on the paper instead of that message? I’ll pay handsomely! Sigh… okay back to my morning.

• July 12, 2014 / 11:48 pm

Haha what a compliment you’ve made my night. Give me an email address and I’ll happily oblige.

8. July 13, 2014 / 12:00 am

You are wonderful. I’m quite sure it is the shortage of similar beards that keeps me off dating sites in Australia. Lucky twenty somethings wherever you are… : )

And good on you for the post. Attention needed. Especially from men.

slowishly@iinet.net.au

Thank you!!!

9. July 20, 2014 / 5:09 pm

The problem I have with the campaign is that the study it was based upon was fraudulent. They said in the article, 65% of Brazilians believe a woman deserves to be raped, based on how she was dressed. However, the people who picked up on the story failed to mention that number isn’t only incorrect, it was completely misleading. They surveyed 3,800 people, with “women who wear clothes that show off their body deserve to be attacked.” Of those surveyed, it was updated after the original article went viral. The number was 26%…not 65%.

Out of 198M people, they discovered that some have a warped view on reality. That does not define Brazil…it only pinpoints the tiniest of a fraction. No culture agrees with rape. However, there are some within a culture who do. That is not an epidemic that promotes rape. It sucks people now believe Brazilians promote rape, when that’s further from the truth. I view this crime as I do all others: there are some in humanity who do something, knowing well the act is a crime. They do not define humanity…they define criminals.